Friday, March 11, 2011

#11 Bill Anderson 3AM (1964)



There's an old saying: If you want somebody's attention, whisper. Whispering Bill Anderson earned his nickname with his soft breathy vocals and he earned his reputation as 6 time Country Music Songwriter of the Year with his knack of hitting listeners right where they live. "3 AM" is not one of his best known songs but it's got to be his most depressing. The singer lost his girl. The bars are closed. He's taking a lonely walk and his destination ends in his own demise.

Look at me walking the streets at 3 a.m.
And you're saying what a crazy fool I am
But the one I love is out tonight with him
Somewhere making love at 3 a.m.
I need a drink but all the bars are locked up tight
A lonely man gets mighty thirsty late at night
I won't ever kiss her sweet, sweet lips again
This old world's an awful place at 3 a.m.
--- Instrumental ---
There's the river here's the bridge it's too late now
I've got nothing left to live for anyhow
In the news they'll say he couldn't even swim
And he gave his love for love at 3 a.m.
Yes, he gave his life for love at 3 a.m...


I'm not the only one who thinks this song is great. Robert Forster of The Go-Betweens covered this tune on his album I Had A New York Girlfriend.
Bill Anderson 3 AM





No comments:

Post a Comment