Thursday, August 28, 2014

UK Top 11 This Week in 1974


American soul music, whether it came from Philadelphia or Miami, dominated the UK charts in the last week of August 1974. At the top was "When Will I See You Again", a tune Sheila Ferguson originally refused  to sing.

"The song was played to me by Kenny Gamble at the piano in 1973 and I threw a tantrum. I screamed and yelled and said I would never sing it. I thought it was ridiculously insulting to be given such a simple song and that it took no talent to sing it. We did do it and several million copies later, I realized that he knew more than me."

1. The Three Degress "When Will I See You Again"


2. George McRae " Rock Your Baby"



3. Stylistics "You Make Me Feel Brand New"
4. Bay City Rollers "Summerlove Sensation"


5. Stephanie de Sykes/ Rain "Born With a Smile on My Face"


6. Hues Corporation "Rock the Boat"


7. Mud " Rocket"


8. Jimmy Ruffin "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"
9. Eric Clapton " I Shot the Sheriff"


10. Rolling Stones "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll"


BONUS

11. Sparks " Amateur Hour"

No comments:

Post a Comment