Thursday, May 5, 2016

40 Year Itch : Dance ’Till You Feel Better


James Brown : Get Up Offa That Thing



   In May of 1976, James Brown released his biggest hit single of the late 70's, "Get Up Offa That Thing". In his autobiography, Brown revealed the inspiration for his #4 R and B hit: 

   “The audience was sitting down, trying to do a sophisticated thing, listening to funk. ( not unlike the people in the video below) One of the tightest bands they’d ever heard in their lives, and they were sitting. I had worked hard and dehydrated myself and was feeling depressed. I looked out at all those people sitting there, and because I was depressed they looked depressed. I yelled, “Get up offa that thing and dance til you feel better!” I probably meant until I felt better."



No comments:

Post a Comment