Monday, May 16, 2016

40 Year Itch : Mean What I Say


Gallagher and Lyle : Heart On My Sleeve

Bryan Ferry : Heart on My Sleeve


  I've decided to listen to my 1976 playlist in alphabetical order and it's helped me realize --across the 2500 tunes or so--that sometimes the same songs were recorded by different artists in the same year. One of the most obvious examples is "Heart On My Sleeve", a UK Top 10 hit in May for its composers Benny Gallagher and Graham Lyle. The mellow duo had written Art Garfunkel's smooth pop hit "Breakaway" and were founding members of McGuinness Flint.


  Bryan Ferry also released "Heart On My Sleeve" as the fourth single from his covers only album "Let's Stick Together" released in September of 1976.  The first Bryan Ferry single to chart in the US ( peaking at just #86), it's got a nice Chris Spedding guitar solo.


No comments:

Post a Comment